Weekly Check In

My friend Josh Weed recently started doing a thing on his blog where he does a 'weekly check-in' post about how he is doing physically, emotionally, and spiritually. He encouraged readers to respond with their own check-ins through comments, but I'd rather just put it up on my own blog. I might try doing this for a few weeks and see how it goes. This week went by quickly. Things were a little hectic because work had a lot of crazy stuff going on (including two coworkers who were on vacation and a bunch of new hires that need training), plus my sweet sister-in-law and dear friend suddenly lost her father about ten days ago and couldn't babysit for me all week. I certainly don't hold it against her at all and I've spent all week thinking about her, but making different arrangements in ours schedule can be a bit tricky. Thankfully everything worked out well and we all survived this crazy week. Hopefully next week will be a little more calm and happy for everyone.

Physical: This Thursday I had my first visit with a doctor in about two years. Now that I am done having kids and I have a good insurance plan, I decided that I needed to find a primary-care doctor and start having annual check-ups. My exam showed everything to be normal and they took some blood to check my thyroid levels, cholesterol, iron levels, and so on (it's been a few years so we opted for the full screening). I haven't heard back about the blood test results yet but I'm not too worried. I've been tired and that's mostly due to the fact that I don't get enough sleep. Lately I've been feeling the urge to get more exercise--I wouldn't mind losing some weight, but what I really want to do is feel more strong and flexible.

Emotional: This week has had some ups and downs, but mostly I've felt happy. Tonight I feel proud of myself for getting so much done during the day. I spent the morning at work doing some training for new people that I think went well, then this afternoon and evening I made a bunch of applesauce to bottle for the winter. I ended up with fourteen pint-size jars and then I decided to try and turn the final batch into apple butter in the crockpot overnight. We'll see how that goes. Work politics lately have got my emotions all over the place and I'm trying to sort out what I really am responsible for and need to worry about and what is just about other people's issues and not really about me at all. I've also had times this week when I felt pretty lonely; I miss having someone to talk and cuddle with at night. Someday, maybe?

Spiritual: Eh, I've been feeling spiritually stagnant lately. I haven't made it to the temple for a while and I really need to find the time to go. I have had a lot of spiritual moments over the last year or so that have really sustained me, but I have been feeling a greater desire for the sort of small, daily, spiritual sustenance that I used to have when I made a greater effort to read my scriptures and pray consistently. I need to work on that.

This week's commitment: I will take a 15-minute walk at least once during the day while I am at work. This will give me a chance to get some exercise and to get out of the office for a while and recenter myself.

Comments

Earth Sign Mama said…
Someone gave a talk today about how important it is to do a little bit of good every day--meaning not to worry about a huge effort, but read a little bit of scriptures, exercise a little, pray a little, get a little bit of something done positive in your life. Developing this habit of a "little bit" is so much more productive than a huge effort---once in a while. And as the habit gets developed, it can be enlarged in one area or another. But getting started is the important part.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals