Moving Sucks, Part III

Actually, the move has mostly not sucked after all. I'm just feeling tired from too many late nights and too much stress. We are in Seattle, and our apartment is partially unpacked. We still need to track down furniture, but at least we have internet access. And S-Boogie is overjoyed by the fact that we have a playground right outside our front door.

On Tuesday we met one of our new neighbors as we were moving in, and when we pointed out which apartment we would be in he knowningly replied "Oh, the fishbowl". Yeah, I think we know why this one was vacant for a while and why we were the ones who got it, since we were willing to take it without looking. We have a nice big sliding glass door and a little patio off our living room, and about 10 feet away from our door is a walking path. Just beyond the path is a fence and then the entrance to University Village, the large outdoor mall that's right behind our housing complex. There are a few trees, but they don't do a lot to mask the noise of cars and trucks. Oh well, it's a very comfy apartment and if we're bored we can walk over to the mall and look at all the expensive things we can't afford to buy. The nice thing is that there is a grocery store right there in the parking lot too, so we can just walk over to buy our groceries. And we can wave to all the students walking by our door all day.

The flight up was all right until the last 20 minutes or so when S-Boogie had to put away her tray table and get her seatbelt on. The worst place for a major screaming meltdown is in the window seat of a full Southwest airlines flight at 5 PM (that's what I get for flying at naptime). Luckily the lady next to me was nice enough to hold Little Dude and the flight attendant brought over a big box of extra goodies, like cookies and airplane-shaped crackers. I'm glad I don't have to see anyone else from the airplane ever again, since I'm sure they all hate us.

After Master Fob picked us up at the airport we stopped by Ikea, since it's out that direction. I've never been before, and it's quite an overwhelming experience. Their swedish meatballs were very tasty, and we found a nice bed we want to get for S-Boogie, but they were out of stock so she gets to sleep on the floor for the time being.

Seattle is nice so far--it's very hilly and green. The weather was gorgeous on Tuesday, but yesterday and today have been gray and cold. I think on Saturday we'll take a little break and go do some exploring. I'd like to check out some of the cool parks.

Well, I'd like to take a shower sometime today and I need to keep trying to unpack my kitchen so we can stop going out to eat, so I'd better get off the internet. The biggest thing about moving that I've realized is that it involves throwing around large amounts of cash. Oh, and I also learned that you should clearly mark which box the toilet paper is packed in. It took us an entire day to find ours.

Comments

JB said…
Glad you all got there alright. I hope you find some good parks close by! :)
Desmama said…
Yay! You've arrived. It's kind of strange, but I miss y'all and I've never even met you. I'll be looking forward to hearing about how things are going up there.

When I flew home with DesTot from Houston, I was afraid to look at anyone else on the plane when she threw a fit. It was awful. And I didn't have the nice people you did. Poor, poor, pitiful me.
Th. said…
.

Well now I feel stupid for telling your husband to go to Ikea....
Tolkien Boy said…
It's a lovely house, and you guys are lovely people for letting me stay with you.
AmyJane said…
1. Love IKEA dearly. It can be an all day event though.
2. Very helpful moving tip for next time: pack an "essentials" box with things like toilet paper and baby wipes and screwdrivers and other helpful moving day things. My mommy told me that one and we were very grateful.
3. Glad ya'll are safe and well. Good luck settling in.
TK said…
Congratulations! You got this far. If you can handle an interstate move with two small children, you can handle anything! :)

And your apartment (and location) all sound pretty good to me. (Maybe you could pot some small trees to place between your sliding glass door and the walkway.)
Anonymous said…
It was your first ever trip to Ikea? I looooooove that store! Glad you made it up there safely!
Jenny said…
The joy of toddler fits while landing... We were stanging outside the plane door waiting for the gate checked stroller so everyone got to walk by us and give us dirty looks one last time after Savvy screamed during the descent. I was in tears by the time everyone walked by.

Good luck getting settled in.
daltongirl said…
I'm so glad you got there safely and are getting settled in. Love the corner desk, by the way.

I think everyone should have to experience a screaming airplane meltdown from the parent's side at least once. It makes us a little more patient when other people's kids do it. Of course, it's like the pain of childbirth. After about ten years go by without one, you've forgotten everything, and screaming kids just tick you off. On the bright side, as you say, you'll never have to see any of those people again. And if you do, it won't be on a plane, and they'll see how adorable and charming S-boogie is in real life.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Happy, Happy Blog-day Foxy Dear