Catching up on popular culture

One of the nice things I did while on my vacation was read (big surprise). I've finally gotten to the point where I can nurse and read, most of the time. And I decided that even though I should be working on my thesis, I don't have any more classes to take so I can spend some time reading whatever I want. This time I decided to catch up on some contemporary fiction that I've been hearing good things about. Generally I don't read much contemporary fiction; if I read fiction it's usually something young adult or something old ("classics"). But, I decided to try a few books and I really liked them all:

Peace Like a River: This was actually my least favorite of the books I read. That doesn't mean I didn't like it, but I didn't get into the story as much as the other ones. And I think I was supposed to like the little sister more than I did. But, it was still a very well-written book with excellent characters and an interesting plot.

The Poisonwood Bible: I think my favorite thing about this book was the fact that it was narrated by several different characters and each had her own distinctive voice. Very cool. The story was pretty fascinating too and the writing was beatiful.

The Time Traveler's Wife: This is the book I couldn't put down--the premise was so intriguing and the way it was written was very compelling. The main characters were also well drawn and made the book more than just a cool idea.

I also watched two movies, Ray and Million Dollar Baby. They were both excellent and very deserving of the awards they won. Master Fob and I are probably going to watch Ray again tonight, since he hasn't seen it. There aren't that many movies that I like enough to watch twice in one week, but this one is really that good.

Comments

Desmama said…
I love that you recommend books. I, too, really enjoyed Poisonwood Bible--and I got through it by reading it while I was nursing DesTot. These days, I usually end up reading Elmo while I nurse more than my own books, but oh well. I'm going to check out the other two you read. I just finished The Optimistic Child and turned it in tonight.
AmyJane said…
We read Poisonwood Bible for book club last year. I'll have to look into the others--I've heard of both. Also, both your movie selections were depressing ones! But very, very good. Did you see Cinderella Man?

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals