Book Reviews

The Optimistic Child by Martin E. Seligman.
This book caught my eye at the BYU library while I was looking for something else. It was probably due to the fact that it was one of the few paperbacks on the shelf, so it stuck out. The subtitle of the book promises that it is based on a "proven program" that will help prevent kids from becoming depressed. I was a little skeptical of that premise, given that most true depression is due to a chemical imbalance, but after reading the book I think he has some really good ideas for changing behavior and thinking patterns, which can certainly help people deal with their depression. The idea behind the book is that teaching children the techniques used in
cognitive behavioral therapy will help them deal with life in a more positive way and in a way "depression-proof" them. Like I said, I don't think that any amount of thinking techniques can completely eliminate some forms of depression, but I think he has some good points. The book is based on a program he and colleagues developed and administered to fifth and sixth graders in Philadelphia, which is the perfect age because kids are old enough to understand how to look at their own thought processes but not yet into that early adolescence stage that doesn't want to talk about anything. Most of the things in the book are things like learning how to pinpoint generalizations and stereotypes about yourself, decatastrophizing, problem solving, etc. He also recommends being proactive about teaching kids good social skills before they enter junior high and high school. These include things like assertiveness, negotiation and empathy. One of the things he reiterates over and over is that parents need to model these kinds of behaviors in order to encourage them in their children. That went along with something I've been realizing more and more lately: parenting needs to be a deliberate exercise. You've got to have clear goals in mind for where you want your kids to end up. Also, even though you can't be perfect, you've got to be the adult and try to model adult behavior. Overall, I liked this book and I think he had many good ideas. I don't know if I would use many of the specific exercises with my kids (some seem kind of complex and contrived), but I hope I can work some of these ways of thinking and looking at things into my own life and the way I deal with my children.

The Weather Makers by Tim Flannery
There are quite a few books on global warming out there, but I've heard a lot of good things about this one and it is one of the most recent. I thought it was well written, very engaging, and quite convincing. I will admit to skimming a little in a few parts, because that is a bad habit of mine when I encounter dense scientific jargon, but it was generally easy to read. I haven't read much else about climate change, but he seemed to cover a lot of territory and look at many different angles. I was realizing as I read that one big problem with environmental issues is that they really are a global concern, but most of us really only care about what is happening locally to us. I don't live in the Arctic, where villages are being moved because the permafrost is melting, or in the tropics where coral reefs are all dying off. And as much as I care about coral reefs, it's hard to think about them every time I fire up my air conditioner or drive my car somewhere. But, this book was a good reminder about what is at stake and the fact that climate change does affect me and that I can do something about it. I think I'll start by walking to church instead of driving, now that I'm getting better. It's better to do something than nothing.

Comments

Jenny said…
Thanks for the reviews! I think the first one in particular sounds interesting to be. I read a book by a professor who talks about teaching conflict resolution skills to toddlers and it reminded me a little of CBT.
skyeJ said…
I don't think that CBT was ever supposed to "cure" depression, as there isn't anything that can change brain chemistry. But, it is amazing what habit can do to a mind. In the same way a mind can form a habit to speak a certain language, it can also form a pattern of thinking when faced with a particular emotion. CBT is a powerful tool in the fight against acting on the depressive feelings that arise from brain chemistry. I think that book sounds great. I'd love to read it.
TK said…
"Optimistic" does sound good. In line w/Skyej's comment, scientific evidence has shown how animal's brains have been altered due to use/lack of use of certain areas. And in line with your comment about brain chemistry, which I'm always quick to point out as being a factor in depression, it is still just a 'FACTOR'. Maybe it's a factor that can't be changed, but learned behavior IS a factor that CAN be changed, so the suggestions that you mentioned that the author talks about, really make sense. I'd like to read it! Thanks for sharing.
Desmama said…
Thanks for recommending both of those. I have already reserved "Optimistic" at the library. Any others you happen to like, pass along the title--I'd love to hear.
Kari said…
Thanks for the info on the books!I agree about deliberate parenting. I'm trying my best to read all I can for the benefit of the children.

We don't have air conditioning. One of the first questions my husband ever asked me was "What do you think about CO2 emissions?" I was as ignorant as mud. Still pretty much am. I need to educate myself.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Happy, Happy Blog-day Foxy Dear